tomato jam

Hi y’all, and welcome to #TomatoLove!

For those of you that aren’t familiar with the Tomato Love Recipe Exchange, let me fill you in on the juicy details.

Ali, the author of Gimme Some Oven and Cassie, of Bake Your Day, are hosting a recipe exchange to help raise awareness with IJM (International Justice Mission) about the treatment of off-season tomato workers in the United States.

Did you know that the 90% of our country’s off-season tomatoes are grown in Florida? Neither did I! I thought all they grew down there were oranges. Please forgive me, I have blonde hair. Anyways, IJM formed a partnership with farm workers and tomato growers called the Fair Food Program. This program will make sure each tomato worker is treated with dignity and respect along with guaranteeing a safe work environment. Workers should be able to pick tomatoes without being picked on. Am I right? Right.

So, in order to spread the awareness, bloggers and non-bloggers across the U.S. are participating in one giant Tomato Love Recipe Exchange. Now here we are in week two and it’s all about salsas and dips. I thought about creating some kind of bruschetta dip, but I wanted to go bigger. I wanted more depth, flavor, and versatility.

Enter, the tomato jam.

I realize that the word jam is a little misleading for this week’s tomato theme, but just go with me for a second. I picked up this recipe at a cooking class I attended at a culinary school in Denver called Cook Street. First of all, I didn’t know you could make a reduction from tomatoes (there’s that blonde hair again). Thankfully, my instructor overlooked my appearance and allowed me to stay in the class because once we were done dicing, slicing, and reducing, I tasted my first tomato jam. I was completely smitten.

I kept sticking my finger into the bowl and then licking the jam right off my finger. Normal people were grabbing a cracker or baguette and spreading on the tomato jam. Eh.”You say tomato, I say tomahto.”

Besides the perfect combination of salty and sweet is how versatile it can be. I’ve dipped roasted cauliflower and scallops into it. I’ve eaten it with cheese and crackers. I’ve even topped my eggs with this salsa look alike. Seriously, the choices are endless!

But the fun doesn’t stop here! Make sure and check out the themes for the next couple of weeks. Start looking through your recipe box and let’s keep spreading the #TomatoLove!

Tomato Jam

(adapted from Cook Street)

Yields about 2 cups

Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 large shallots, minced
2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
1 3/4 cups white wine vinegar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup water
Salt and pepper to taste
Crackers

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and cook until translucent, about 6 minutes. Add grape tomatoes, cook until softened. Add vinegar, both sugars, and water. Bring to a simmer and then wait ever so patiently for the sauce to reduce by half. It will get there, I promise. Add salt and pepper to make sure seasoning is correct. Let it cool slightly and serve on anything your heart desires! Great as a spread on crackers or you can pour it over scallops or roasted cauliflower! Delish!

15 Responses to “tomato jam”

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — July 18, 2012 at 13:50

Oh what a lovely idea!! I've never thought to make tomato jam.

Anonymous — July 18, 2012 at 14:03

PRETTY Post! And I want to make the jam.

: ) Moomers

Cassie/Bake Your Day — July 18, 2012 at 15:43

This is extremely awesome Lauren. Thank you SO MUCH for helping to spread the word!!

Lauren Grier — July 18, 2012 at 22:17

Claire – Thanks for stopping by! It really is a great recipe. Hope you'll give it a try!

Lauren Grier — July 18, 2012 at 22:17

Mom – I plan on making it at the Lake!

Lauren Grier — July 18, 2012 at 22:18

Cassie – Thanks, friend! I'm lovin' this tomato adventure!

Jamie — July 19, 2012 at 16:48

Yum! I know what I'll be doing with all my maters from the garden!

Lauren Grier — July 21, 2012 at 17:27

Jamie – Do it!

Anonymous — July 24, 2012 at 18:04

I make a version of this with a cinnamon stick, nutmeg, allspice and cloves. Grilled Pork T and this jam is stinkin good.

Maggie — February 18, 2013 at 18:12

I started scouring the web for tomato jam recipes after ordering (and devouring) a sandwich smothered in tomato jam. So glad I found your recipe… it is delicious! Is tomato jam a Southern thing? I’m originally from the Midwest and never heard of tomato jam until moving to NC. Either way, I’m glad I have been enlightened!

Nanci — September 13, 2013 at 23:14

What a fun recipe! I made a double batch today & it was delish even off the spoon! I’ve had nigella seeds in my cupboard for quite a while and was surprised (and pleased) to find them in this recipe as they don’t show up in very many things I make. Glad to have found your blog too!

• Lauren replied: — September 14th, 2013 @ 00:55

Hi Nanci, and welcome! I am so glad you enjoyed the tomato jam recipe! It’s one of my favs. Have a great weekend!

Zandra Peterson — October 1, 2013 at 21:22

Hi Lauren, just saw this. I would like to make a larger batch and water bath can it, is this possible? Sounds so delish.

• Lauren replied: — October 3rd, 2013 @ 14:24

Hi Zandra! I have never tried to can this jam, but I don’t see why you shouldn’t be able to. I would just following your canning instructions. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Lindsay B — December 20, 2013 at 23:21

I’m making this right now and so far it tastes quite delicious! But I doubled the batch and it is taking forever to reduce! Been going for an hour and a half and it’s barely gone down! Although, I’m pretty sure I’ll be glad that I doubled it…once it’s done.