mexican pulled pork tacos

Passenger.

A passenger on the open road.

A passenger in the big blue sky.

A passenger on a ship.

Passenger.

We are all passengers in this life. Sometimes we are lucky and get to choose our mode of transportation. Other times, even the very journey we must embark on is chosen for us.

Over the past couple of months, my journey has actually been chosen for me.  We had to vacate our condo of five years stat. I could have become a drama queen and thrown a hissy fit. I could have become disappointed, angry, or heck, even sad. But! In the twenty-nine years that I have been a passenger in this life, I’ve learned that the end of day, you may not have the control, but you do have control over how you respond.

Sure, your everyday experiences you have control over whether or not you should brush your teeth (which I highly recommend). You do have control over whether or not you’re going  to wear jeggings or tights today with that new blue tank top. And you do have control over the amount of sugars you put in your coffee.

But what if someone made fun of your jeggings outfit? Do you decide to never wear the outfit again? Do you try and uppercut the person with your fist Mortal Kombat style? What if you’re at Starbucks and you spill the entire container of sugar all over the floor? Do you walk away? Do you tell the barista behind the counter your mistake?

Being a passenger of life doesn’t mean losing control when things go awry, but gaining the wisdom and understanding to respond better to the situation. Case in point. Mr. B and I are up to our ears in moving boxes. We move next week and amongst all that, we may have a job transition, and I’m working on my new website. Things are bananas.

Even though things seem out of control, I try to keep my sanity by choosing how I respond. I knew things would be busy and I wouldn’t have time to cook so I brought out the ol’ crock pot to make these pulled pork tacos. Let me say for the record, if you’re ever questioning your sanity, make these pulled pork tacos. The large, crazy waves of life will die down a bit after your first bite.

I whipped up these pulled pork tacos up on Sunday, and for the first time in a long time Mr. B and I both smiled. This dish is simple, spicy, and full of flavor that will make any path or journey you are on, feel like your choice all along.

Mexican Pulled Pork Tacos

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
4 garlic cloves, minced
½ jalapeno, deseeded, diced
salt and pepper

Place pork tenderloin out at room temperature for about 15 minutes. This will help it cook evenly. In the meantime, stir all ingredients in a medium bowl. Place tenderloin in the base of slow cooker, add water,and pour spicy tomato mixture all over the tenderloin. Cook on low for eight hours. Flip at the four hour mark. When the tenderloin is finished cooking, place it on a cutting board and using two forks, shred the pork.

To serve: place pork in a warm tortilla and top with romaine lettuce, shredded cheddar cheese, tomatoes, sour cream, jarred jalapenos, and your favorite salsa!

adapted from Can You Stay for Dinner?

15 Responses to “mexican pulled pork tacos”

Eileen — September 12, 2012 at 18:13

Slow-coked pork is definitely one of the best possible things you can put in a taco. Love these!

• Lauren replied: — September 13th, 2012 @ 16:11

Eileen – Thank ya! They were pretty delish and really easy to make. Gotta love one pot meals!

Cassie/Bake Your Day — September 12, 2012 at 21:15

This was such a great reminder today, thank you! And this pulled pork sounds amazing, love the flavors!

• Lauren replied: — September 13th, 2012 @ 16:12

You’re welcome, Cassie. I need to remind myself daily!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — September 13, 2012 at 18:56

Lauren, I’m so psyched about your new site design! It’s gorgeous, natural and inviting! Very cool! And your pulled pork tacos look faaaaaantastic!

• Lauren replied: — September 13th, 2012 @ 21:06

Julia, thank you! I’m really glad you like the site. Purr Design did an amazing job!

Kirsten/Comfortably Domestic — September 13, 2012 at 19:08

Well said, Lauren! Such a poignant reminder of the importance of choosing how we respond to the curve balls life throws our way. Thank you for that–I needed to hear it today. :) Hugs, Friend!

• Lauren replied: — September 13th, 2012 @ 21:07

Kirsten, you’re welcome! Glad to spread a little love across the blogisphere. Have a great day!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — September 13, 2012 at 21:28

Your site looks fabulous! The tacos are my FAVORITE and I love that you have it with fruit punch, reminds me of my childhood, good times.

• Lauren replied: — September 13th, 2012 @ 21:47

Thank you! I’m very excited about how it turned out. Still have a lot to learn about WP! I had fruit punch too as a kid. Tacos and fruit punch go hand in hand fo’ sure!

Linda — September 17, 2012 at 22:33

Lauren,
    I decided to check out your site and stumbled across these Pulled Pork Tacos. What was really the best was the attitude montra of life lessons. It was just what I needed today as I start onto a positive journey to my future. Your the best and I miss you. Good luck with your move.

Tanya — February 11, 2013 at 04:51

Made these crock pot pork tacos for the Super Bowl & they were amazing! Everyone had thirds/fourths!! Even the kids loved them. So quick and easy to prepare for a group-size dinner.

• Lauren replied: — February 11th, 2013 @ 14:07

Tanya – Yay!!! I’m so excited you enjoyed the mexican pulled pork tacos! I hope you had a wonderful weekend. Cheers!