sweet potato tater tots with sriracha aioli

sweet potato tater tots with sriracha aioli www.climbinggriermountain.com

Last October, Mr. B and I moved into a new area of town called LoHi.

LoHi (or Lower Highlands) is a neighborhood pocket just north of downtown Denver. It’s a whole 3 miles from our last place in LoDo. Can you guess what that LoDo means?  Yep, Lower Downtown!

If you’ve ever experienced an in-town move, you know it’s the worst kind. Instead of just loading up a big ol’ moving van, you end up making 4,276 trips between the old and new place just shuffling crap. Not only was this a drag on FOREVER type of move, it came at the worst possible time ….actually, is there ever any good time to move your shiz? I was nearing the end of my marathon training, Mr. B was getting ready to transition to new a job, and our five year anniversary was quickly approaching. To tell you the truth, how we managed to get everything done and remain married baffles me to this day.

ailoli

But! I am firm believer that despite what seems to be a never ending struggle leading to no good, usually  turns out to be the best thing for you. After all of the shuffling and re-organizing, running twenty miles, and saying yes to a new job, we now have more space for our stuff – my shoes, a garden, and a yard, all within an actual neighborhood. Praise the Lord! Plus, our place is a couple blocks down from the foodie mecca of Denver!

This brings me to the main point of today’s post. Last week I posted a picture on Instagram of tater tots with sriracha aioli. Y’all went tater tot bananas over these little fellows. Rightfully so, of course. I found these sexy of a gem tater tots at Uber Sausage (located in the foodie mecca) that opened up last month. They sell every kind of brat under the grill and the most delicious sides, my favorite being the tots. Now, being a good foodie and friend, I naturally had to re-create these bad boys so you could make them at home.

IMG_6654

Instead of traditional tots, I subbed in sweet potato tots. But the pièce de résistance is the sriracha ailoi. This my friends is where the magic happens. And yes, this recipe I’m giving you today is the real deal Holy-egg-field. A raw egg isn’t scary so put on your big mitts or panties and dewwwwww it. I promise you won’t be disappointed.

Now, take your tater tot, dip it or roll it in the sriracha aioli, and remember that life tastes good!

sweet potato tater tots with sriracha aioli www.climbinggriermountain.com

Sweet Potato Tater Tots with Sriracha Aioli

Yield: Serves 4

Cook Time: 25 minutes

1 package frozen sweet potato tater tots
1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
3 egg yolks, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
Dash of salt and pepper
2 cups extra virgin olive oil
4 to 5 teaspoons Sriracha (depending on heat level)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Spread tater tots evenly on baking sheet and bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Meanwhile, make your aioli. Combine egg yolks, Dijon, vinegar, and salt/pepper in a food processor. Pulse a few times and then stream in 2 cups of olive oil until thick and mayo like. Remove aioli from processor and add to a bowl. Add Sriracha, stir to combine. Put tots on a serving platter and drizzle aioli over top and garnish with sesame seeds. Serve immediately.

aioli adapted from Jacque Penin Complete Techniques

49 Responses to “sweet potato tater tots with sriracha aioli”

carrian — July 31, 2013 at 12:59

ew. Those moves make me want to scream. Totally not true with these tots though. They look like pure genius!

• Lauren replied: — July 31st, 2013 @ 13:50

Aren’t they the worst? Thank goodness for tater tots that keep us distracted!

Jenna — July 31, 2013 at 13:30

These tots and aioli look sinfully good!!

• Lauren replied: — July 31st, 2013 @ 13:50

Thanks, Jenna!

Lori Lynn — July 31, 2013 at 13:34

Hi Lauren – I found your blog randomly when I signed into twitter and saw these tater tots! How fabulous!
    I’ve been poking around your blog, some great recipes here!
    Nice to know you, I lived in Aspen after college, so I look forward to reading about your Colorado adventures.
    LL

• Lauren replied: — July 31st, 2013 @ 13:55

Hi Lori Lynn! I am so glad you stopped by to say hello! I have friends that live in Basalt and try to visit them often. Love that area of Colorado!

Emily {Pink Tiger in the Kitchen} — July 31, 2013 at 13:41

GIRL! I have been drooling over these since you posted the IG picture!! I’m so glad that you recreated them so I can taste them out down here!!

• Lauren replied: — July 31st, 2013 @ 13:56

Thanks, Emily! I hope you like. I think the sweet potato addition adds the perfect touch.

Cookin Canuck — July 31, 2013 at 13:53

The hassle of a move is definitely all worth it if you land right in the middle of food mecca. I haven’t been to Denver for so long, but it sounds as though I need to plan a trip…just to eat at all of the restaurants!

I never thought I’d say that tater tots were gorgeous…but these ones are!

• Lauren replied: — July 31st, 2013 @ 14:06

Thanks, Dara! You are always welcome to hang with me in the Mile High City! I promise to take you to all the great foodie places:)

Tieghan — July 31, 2013 at 13:56

YUMM!! These little tots look amazing and with that spicy aioli? YES!

• Lauren replied: — July 31st, 2013 @ 14:25

Thanks, Tieghan!

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — July 31, 2013 at 13:58

I am so excited to see this recipe here today! I am a new believer of anything with sriracha so it being paired with tater tots is putting my local Sonic out of BUSINESS.

• Lauren replied: — July 31st, 2013 @ 14:26

Ha! Thanks, Meagan! Sriracha really does make everything better:)

Peter @ Feed Your Soul Too — July 31, 2013 at 13:59

Saw these over on our Food Blogger board and pinterest and had to stop by to get the recipe. They look awesome and the aoli would work on so many things.

• Lauren replied: — July 31st, 2013 @ 14:26

Thanks for stopping by Peter! I hope you enjoy the recipe!

Julia — July 31, 2013 at 14:29

You may just live right near my friend. Seems like I remember her saying her house is in LoHi….anyway, if you see a blond girl walking a brown dog, you should wave and say, “hi Kristin!” This is probably a great way of meeting a lot of girls who are not named Kristin ;)

Your tater tots look amazing! And cute! Tater tots were my favorite when I was a kid and I’m feeling like I need to feed my inner child. ;) sriracha aioli? ON IT!

kelley {mountain mama cooks} — July 31, 2013 at 14:35

Holy tater tots, girlfriend. Truth be told, I could eat the aioli with just a spoon. I have a major thing for anything with sriracha. YUM!

Megan {Country Cleaver} — July 31, 2013 at 14:44

I am dreading the day we move – I just don’t know how we will make it through it in one piece. hahah If anything can save a marriage on the move it’s TOTS!! So, can I have some of your tots?

cassie — July 31, 2013 at 14:53

Moving never comes at an opportune time but looking back, it’s usually a good thing.

And tots – definitely always a good thing, especially with sriracha involved. LOVE this, so, so much.

Jamie | Thrifty Veggie Mama — July 31, 2013 at 15:18

Totally craving tater tots right now!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — July 31, 2013 at 15:21

Oh man do these look amazing, Lauren! They remind me of a little indulgence my husband and I get sometimes here in Austin… crispy tots topped with spicy crumbled sausage, sriracha, green onions, and queso. Un-real.

Listy Lehman — July 31, 2013 at 16:18

I’ve got to remember to not check your blog when I’m at work! It’s 1015am and I now feel the need to drive over to LoHi, pick up a side of tots, an Uber sausage, and wash it all down with a comicon at the Ale House. Is it Friday yet?
    XO

• Lauren replied: — August 1st, 2013 @ 01:57

Ha! Thanks, friend! You are always welcome to stop by. I would gladly share my tots!

Christina Gathright — July 31, 2013 at 17:25

These look fabulous! Definitely getting made on burger night this weekend! Thank you for your genius :)

• Lauren replied: — August 1st, 2013 @ 01:56

Thanks, Christina! I need to have a permanent burger night in our household:) Sounds like fun!

Ashley - Baker by Nature — July 31, 2013 at 18:27

These tots are epic! Seriously. I’m so smitten with everything about them.

• Lauren replied: — August 1st, 2013 @ 01:55

Thanks, Ashley! I’m thinking I need to whip up another batch soon. Epic tots need to happen more often:)

Jackie {The Beeroness} — July 31, 2013 at 18:51

WHAT DID YOU JUST DO?! I love this. I had a brief fascination with the idea of starting a food truck (food trucks are big in LA) with a tater tot theme and calling it Tot Wheels. Love me some tots.

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — July 31, 2013 at 19:05

WHAT THE WHAT!!!!!!!!!!! I can’t handle this!! I want 4,304,420. GIVE ME THE TOTS!!!!!

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen — July 31, 2013 at 19:12

In-town moves are the worst! I’ve done it 4 times. One of which was a 3 block move….I went back a trillion times during the move. On a happier note….I want to swan dive into that bucket of tots!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — July 31, 2013 at 19:44

I’m with Liz… Seriously let’s just make a quadruple batch and call it good… and a straw for the aioli! :9

Kathryn — July 31, 2013 at 20:12

I think I’m in love with that aioli.

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — July 31, 2013 at 23:32

I. want. these. NOW. {pretty please}

• Lauren replied: — August 1st, 2013 @ 01:58

Thanks, Brenda! I’ll send some to you ASAP!

Julie @ Table for Two — August 1, 2013 at 00:02

Heavenly! I want these right now!!

DessertForTwo — August 1, 2013 at 00:05

Hello, genius! And exactly what I want to eat every day on earth!

kita — August 1, 2013 at 02:08

Gosh dang these look good.

Kelly — August 1, 2013 at 16:40

Ohh yum! These look like absolute perfection, great recipe! :)

Angie | Big Bear's Wife — August 1, 2013 at 17:34

Moving sucks! We’ve moved like 7 times in our 6 years of marriage! It’s crazy! However these little gems have caught my attention! Will be making these for my husband soon!

Shannon — October 31, 2013 at 04:55

Where in Denver do you find sweet potato tater tots!!!

Thanks

• Lauren replied: — October 31st, 2013 @ 14:35

Hi Shannon! I found them at Whole Foods and Sprouts Farmer’s Market. They are from a brand called, Alexia Foods! Hope that helps!

mountain — January 14, 2014 at 04:28

Howdy would you mind stating which blog platform you’re using?
    I’m planning to start my own blog in the near future but I’m having a difficult time choosing between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
    The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something completely unique.

P.S My apologies for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

Sara — March 12, 2014 at 04:46

Looks so good and I followed the recipe to a T but my aioli turned out terrible! Tasted like olive oil only and had no mayo consistency. I was so sad. Maybe you can email me and help a girl out! :)

Lida — April 14, 2014 at 07:25

This looks amazing and I want to make these! Just ummm… I live in South Africa and we do not have frozen sweet potato tater tots.
    Does anyone have a recipe how to make these yourself? :)

Margene — May 15, 2014 at 21:07

Could not get the aioli to emulsify.please tell me what i did wrong because i have been looking for sriracha recipes. Thank you! Used a blender instead of a food processor.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks