French Onion Meatball Subs
French Onion Meatball Subs are a delicious sandwich to serve any night of the week! Tastes like the classic French Onion Soup only in meatball form!
Have you started planning?
Your summer vacation that is.
I swear this time of year summer vacation days are a HOT commodity. Can you take off a week in July? How about August? Can you make a quick trip out in June? Don’t get me wrong I love traveling, but I’m also very stingy when it comes to leaving Colorado during summer.
Probably because it’s my favorite time of year. So many festivals, concerts, art shows, food trucks, hiking experiences, etc. that it’s hard for me to want to leave. Does anyone else have this problem? I surely can’t be alone in the FOMO summer situation.
Anyway, I know it will all work out, but Mr. B and I may need to put the hammer down because we’ve also got to work on the OLD A$$ House. Things are coming along….just…..very……S-L-O-W-L-Y. We are in a holding pattern right now until AC gets installed. Yep, yep. Not having air conditioning in Colorado is common, but not for yours truly. I will melt like a snow cone in July.
So to keep me distracted from all the summer chaos I am just going to nosh on these French Onion Meatball Subs. You guys know that I LOVE meatball subs. Whenever I go to a sub shop that’s my go-to because it’s a warm sandwich. Cold deli sandwiches make me cranky. Also, there is zero flavor. Am I right?
Well, these French Onion Meatball Subs pack a whole lot of flavor. Tastes like the traditional French Onion Soup sans the soup portion. Load these bad boys up with lots of cheese and what you get is a hearty, delicious sub in 30 minutes or less.
Might have to make these all summer long!
French Onion Meatball Subs
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/3 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup beef broth
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 pound ground beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- Four hoagie rolls
- 1 cup grated provolone, divided
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a skillet preheated to medium heat, melt the butter. Place the onion into the skillet and cook for a few minutes. Add salt, pepper, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and thyme. Stir and cook for another couple of minutes. Add beef broth and cook until onions are gold brown. If you need to add more beef broth to keep the sauce slightly liquid and to keep the onions from burning that’s okay!
- Next, in a large bowl add the ground beef. Pour the onion mixture into the bowl with the meat. Using your fingers gently combine all the ingredients. Take an ice cream scooper and scoop out roughly nine meatballs and place them onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Cook the meatballs for about 12 to 14 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Next, take a hoagie sub roll and stuff three meatballs inside. Place the sub on a baking sheet and top with 1/4 provolone cheese. Repeat until all subs have been filled.
- Turn your broiler on. Place the subs under the broiler to allow the cheese to melt. Once bubbly and golden remove the broiler and serve!