Spiced Pecan Baked Chicken Nuggets with Chipotle Mustard Sauce
Spiced Pecan Baked Chicken Nuggets with Chipotle Mustard are a flavorful and easy meal to make during the week!
Anyone feel like they are in a dead sprint?
The holiday sprint that is.
Feels like the holiday train has taken off and I’m just over here chilling with my Halloween decor. Do I need to be on the train? Should I be concerned that I didn’t purchase gifts on Prime Day?
Truth: I’m okay with NOT sprinting head first into the holidays. What I will do is give y’all a tasty recipe that’s easy to make and will keep you fueled for said holiday race. Cool?
I made these Spiced Pecan Baked Chicken Nuggets with Chipotle Mustard last week and the family gobbled them up. Now, these aren’t ordinary nuggets folks. OH, NO. These nuggets have a special coating!
What’s in these Spiced Pecan Baked Chicken Nuggets?
The secret to making these chicken nuggets is the coating which is made up of pecans! I KNOW! You’ll put about 1 cup of pecans into a food processor with cornstarch, paprika, dried thyme, and pinch of cayenne (if you want some heat).
Once you’ve got the coating finely chopped you’ll assume the dredging position. Take a chicken nugget, dunk it into the egg wash and then the spiced pecan coating. Place on a baking sheet to cook in the oven. BOOM. Quick and flavorful!
Can I Substitute the Pecan Coating?
Yep! Substitute almonds for pecans using the same food processor process.
If you want to stick to (Japanese breadcrumbs) or, basic Italian breadcrumbs skip the food processor part and just stir all the ingredients together!
Can I Substitute Chicken Thighs?
Of course! Chicken breasts would be lovely as well. Or if you wanted to make chicken tenders that would also be a fun option!
What’s in the Chipotle Mustard?
Probably my favorite dipping sauce at the moment. You’ll combine mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, pinch of sugar, and a few teaspoons of chipotle adobo sauce if you want heat.
Now, if you don’t fancy any of these ingredients ketchup and mustard work just as well!
Can you freeze these Chicken Nuggets?
You bet! You’ll freeze the breaded nuggets on a cookie sheet then transfer them to a container in the freezer until you’re ready to bake. Add about 3 to 5 minutes to your cooking time if frozen!
More Delicious Chicken Recipes:
- Easy Honey Garlic Stir-Fry
- Roasted Jerk Chicken with Rice and Peas
- Easy Chicken and Chorizo Chili
- 30 Minute Fire Roasted Chicken Ragu
Spiced Pecan Baked Chicken Nuggets with Chipotle Mustard
- 1 cup pecans
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- pinch of cayenne
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into 1-inch cube
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp white-wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp chipotle adobo sauce
- Preheat an oven to 425 degrees. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a food processor, add the pecans, cornstarch, thyme, paprika, kosher salt, and cayenne. Pulse until the pecans are finely chopped like a breadcrumb coating. Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl or pie plate.
- Next, in a medium bowl or pie plate whisk together the egg and water. Take a chicken cube and dip it into the egg mixture and then into the nut mixture.
- Place the chicken nuggets onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat process until all chicken nuggets have been assembled. Spray the tops of the chicken nuggets with more non-stick cooking spray and place the baking sheet in the oven.
- Cook the chicken nuggets for about 15 minutes or until golden and juicy.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, sugar, and chipotle adobo sauce.
- Place the chicken nuggets on a plate and serve with mustard sauce.