spiced chicken drumsticks with brown sugar and jalapeños

Howdy, y’all!

Greetings from Texas!

Wait. Shoot-um-agooty, I’m not in Texas anymore. I swear, I am all sorts of criss-crossed. I spent this past weekend in Austin at the BlogHer food conference. Let me tell you, it was a boot-scooting-finger-lickin-good time. I had such a blast meeting new peeps and reconnecting with old blogger buddies. Besides the weather (hello, summer heat!), it was everything and more. I plan to post a recap  by this week, so stay tuned.

Okay, let me try this introduction again.

Howdy, y’all!

Greetings from Charleston, South Carolina! Yes, much better.

I’m still in the South so technically I have another week of annoying my family with my Kansan-Coloradian version of y’all. I arrived in Charleston late last night to spend the week with the Griers (a.k.a the Griswolds). Mr. B’s parents recently celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary. In honor of their special  milestone, they decided to take the whole Griswold clan to the beach. I’ve never been to Charleston, so if you have any recommendations on things we must do (besides marinating on the beach) and especially where to eat, send some suggestions my way.

Oh, and before I forget, I probably should talk about these spicy, sugary drumsticks. I am a sucker for a delicious drumstick. I am a HUGE sucker for a big ol’ turkey leg served at Renaissance Fairs. But that’s for another time and post. Drumsticks are a fun distraction from the standard boring chicken breast and are super inexpensive. If you were looking to host a summer barbecue with 20 of your closet friends, stick to the drumstick. Nothing says I love you like a juicy on the inside, crispy skin on the outside, drumstick.

You can bake or grill these bad boys. Just make sure to slather them well in the brown sugar/Dijon mustard/coriander mixture and DON’T skip on the minced jalapeno. Your taste buds will thank me later.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a beach to find!

Spiced Chicken Drumsticks with Brown Sugar and Jalapeños

Yield: Serves. 4

Cook Time: 40 minutes

2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons coriander
1 1/2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
12 chicken drumsticks
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Line two baking sheets with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Add the drumsticks and toss with the mixture. Place drumsticks on baking sheet. Bake for about 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.

recipe adapted from Food and Wine magazine

39 Responses to “spiced chicken drumsticks with brown sugar and jalapeños”

Tieghan — June 10, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Okay these sound awesome! I love sweet and spicy together!

Have a fun week with you family!

• Lauren replied: — June 10th, 2013 @ 3:03 pm

Me too! Thanks, Tieghan!

Erika — June 10, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Now see.. this is my kinda recipe.. I could go to town on these here wings..

• Lauren replied: — June 10th, 2013 @ 3:03 pm

Ha! Me too, Erika! The spicer, the better!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — June 10, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Seriously you need to go to Disney then and get one of those like dinosaur sized turkey legs. You’d be in heaven. Have a fantastic vaca!

• Lauren replied: — June 10th, 2013 @ 3:05 pm

Dude, that is on my bucket list! I seriously love turkey legs!

Mackenzie {SusieFreakingHomemaker} — June 10, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Ok – so, weird thing to obsess over, but where on earth did you find the newspaper tissue paper adorable combo you’re workin with in your photos!? I’m in love!

• Lauren replied: — June 10th, 2013 @ 3:06 pm

The newspaper sheets are from World Market! They are the best and don’t smear like real newspaper. You gotta get some!

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen — June 10, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Love the sweet & spicy going on with these drumsticks! Have a great vacay!

• Lauren replied: — June 10th, 2013 @ 3:07 pm

Thanks, Kelli! I’m thinking I may need to make these this week!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — June 10, 2013 at 1:43 pm

I won’t skip the minced jalepeno- promise!!

• Lauren replied: — June 10th, 2013 @ 3:08 pm

Yes! I like your style, Katrina!

Leah | So, How's It Taste? — June 10, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Ooo, I love a spicy & sweet combo! We went to Charleston last Fall and loved dinner at Magnolia’s. High Cotton has some awesome cocktails and bar bites if you get sick of the heat and need a break in the AC! Have fun!

• Lauren replied: — June 10th, 2013 @ 3:08 pm

Ooooohhh…I will totally have to check that restaurant out! Thanks for the recommendation!

Kathryn — June 10, 2013 at 2:13 pm

So jealous of your beach time! I hope you have a great week recovering fro the excesses of Austin ;)

• Lauren replied: — June 10th, 2013 @ 3:09 pm

I am going to marinate on the beach while eating a piece of lettuce. Austin was a blast, but glad to be relaxing with the family.

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — June 10, 2013 at 2:40 pm

What I would give to marinate on a beach right now, too. Ugh. Have a fabulous vacation, lady! I’ll be over here munching on a drumstick (or five) and pretending my balcony is the beach. ;)

• Lauren replied: — June 10th, 2013 @ 3:10 pm

Ha! I heart you girl! We really missed you this weekend!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — June 10, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Welcome home, Lauren! It was SO nice to meet you at BlogHer and I’m glad you had a blast! Can’t wait to see your recap. These drumsticks look awesome, and your photos are stunning!

• Lauren replied: — June 10th, 2013 @ 3:11 pm

It was wonderful meeting you too! Austin was amazing. I can see why you live there!

JJ @ My Chicken Fried LIfe — June 10, 2013 at 3:03 pm

I’ve got drumsticks in the freezer waiting for just the right recipe. I think this is it! These look and sound AMAZING!!!

My husband and I went to Charleston several years ago. We did lots of the touristy restaurants and had good experiences but on our last day we went to Early Bird Diner. The services was outstanding and the chicken and waffles were incredible. I’d highly recommend it!

• Lauren replied: — June 10th, 2013 @ 3:12 pm

Thanks for the recommendation! I will definitely have to check the Early Bird Diner out. :)

Shanna@ pineapple and coconut — June 10, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Oh my these look amazing!! My family would love! And I love the newspaper – isn’t World Market the best??

• Lauren replied: — June 10th, 2013 @ 3:13 pm

Right?!! I swear it’s the food blogger meca!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — June 10, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Daaaaang girl! Those look like some perfect drumsticks! Hope you had an awesome time at BlogHer and I’ll be seeing you there next year!!

• Lauren replied: — June 10th, 2013 @ 3:19 pm

Definitely! I a future tackle hug must take place!

Renee @ Tortillas and Honey — June 10, 2013 at 3:56 pm

This looks absolutely wonderful! I love what you’ve done here. I cannot wait to try this recipe!

Emily {Pink Tiger in the Kitchen} — June 10, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I thought I had plans for the drumsticks in my freezer but it looks like that plan is getting scraped for this!! LOVE the spicy / sweet / crispiness in store!! Have a great time in Charleston!!

Ali | Gimme Some Oven — June 10, 2013 at 4:11 pm

YAY – it’s the newspaper!!! ;)

These look SO good! Love me some drumsticks, especially with sweet and spicy seasoning like this!

Sondra — June 10, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Thanks! I totally needed a easy Monday dinner recipe! (Aka: Mexican Mondays & Slacker Mom meal!) My gang lives drumsticks & I just happen to have a whole mess of them in the freezer! Now, to get my DS to run to the store for a few Japs! Wish me luck!

Julie @ Table for Two — June 11, 2013 at 12:33 am

ahh, i saw this this morning at like 10am and man, i was CRAVING drumsticks!! i’m so jealous you’re still on vaca and in charleston..it’s so pretty there!!

Julia — June 11, 2013 at 12:46 am

What a fun couple of weeks (I love Charleston!). These spiced drumsticks look delicious! Loving the brown sugar and jalapeno combo!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — June 11, 2013 at 2:36 am

Lauren… Lauren… Lauren… I’m SO totally, not-even-kidding, 100 % positively making these for dinner! I do looooove me some jalapenos!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — June 11, 2013 at 6:43 pm

I’d rub this all over my body.

Oh wait.

angela @ another bite please — June 13, 2013 at 5:18 pm

gosh these sound and look perfect to me…love the photos with the newspaper and beer!

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl — June 17, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Drumsticks are my favorite, so I love this recipe.. especially with the additional spice!

seriale on line — July 7, 2013 at 9:30 pm

wiosła ze innowacjami. w droga trwań zauważalne z przodu wszelki rzeczone kozy

Jackie — September 17, 2013 at 1:04 am

Hi Lauren

What do you do with the salt and pepper in this recipe.

• Lauren replied: — September 17th, 2013 @ 1:33 am

Hi Jackie! Great question! I need to update the directions to say add a pinch of salt and pepper to the mix. Thanks for the heads up!