cauliflower mashed “potatoes” in a lemon cup with smoked paprika

Surprise!!!! Happy Baby Shower, Liz!!

lizs-baby-shower

I am so fist-pumping, throwing your tots in the air and wave them like I just don’t care excited to celebrate Liz and her soon-to-be bundle of joy #2 today! Liz is the talented author behind the beautiful and healthy food blog, The Lemon Bowl. I had the pleasure of not only meeting Liz in real life at BlogHer Food this year, but we were also roomies in the infamous bardo. How we survived a fun filled foodie weekend in Austin, while enduring the #condocurse is still a mystery!

Liz is an absolute gem. Her wealth of knowledge when it comes to life, food blogging, and overall shenanigans, makes me eternally grateful that I get to call her my friend. Not only is she a two-snaps around the world friend, her recipes are killer. I am completely smitten with her garlic-soy marinade, steamed pork dumplings, and chicken shawarma. I’m getting hungry just thinking of the endless possibilities. Plus, she totally bats for Team Tot so naturally we are kindred spirits.

cauliflower mashed "potatoes" in a lemon cup with smoked paprika www.climbinggriermountain.com

So today, 15,342 food bloggers and I are catering this shower with the best lemon themed appetizers, entrees, desserts, and mocktails. Yours truly went the ol’ appetizer route because I knew exactly what I wanted to make for the queen of lemons.

Aren’t these lemon cups the cutest darn tootin’ things? GAH! If I could fill them with sunshine and lollipops and not look like a major tool shed, I totally would. Instead, I figured I should keep them healthy and whip up some cauliflower mashed “potatoes.”

If you haven’t had cauliflower mashed potatoes, they are a great lower carb alternative than regular potatoes. You make them the exact same way and truth be told, they taste the same too! Can I get a whut, whut?!!

Happy Baby Shower, Liz! You’re our number one prego stunner!

Make sure and check out the rest of the baby shower catering crew:

Appetizers

2 tablespoons sour cream
1 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper
8 lemons
Smoked paprika, garnish
Chives, garnish

Place cauliflower in a saucepan filled with water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender about 10 minutes. Strain cauliflower and place florets into a food processor. Add the milk, butter, sour cream, garlic powder, and a pinch of s&p. Puree until smooth. Add more milk if needed. Place puree in a Ziploc bag. Cut a bottom corner of the bag and piper into lemon cups.

To make the lemon cups: Take a lemon and slice about a quarter of the way down removing the top. Take a knife and run along the edges of making it easy to scoop out the flesh. Scoop out the flesh and then pat the inside dry removing any juice. Pipe the cauliflower mashed potatoes into the lemon cups and garnish with chives and smoked paprika.

36 Responses to “cauliflower mashed “potatoes” in a lemon cup with smoked paprika”

Ashley - Baker by Nature — October 14, 2013 at 10:02

GORGEOUS! Liz would LOVE these!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — October 14, 2013 at 10:29

How cute are those little lemon bowls! Great idea, I know Liz would love them!

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots — October 14, 2013 at 11:20

So. Freaking. Cute! Lauren, these are perfect. :D It was a pleasure bringing goodies to Liz’s shower with you!

Kathryn — October 14, 2013 at 11:59

These are so cute! What a great idea for Liz’s shower : )

Sarah W. Caron (Sarah's Cucina Bella) — October 14, 2013 at 12:17

Those are the cutest! What a fun presentation.

Ali | Gimme Some Oven — October 14, 2013 at 12:29

Oh my goodness — I LOVE these! What a fun idea to use the lemon “bowls”. Adorable!

Tieghan — October 14, 2013 at 12:31

These are simply just awesome! Liz would and will freak over these!

Carrian — October 14, 2013 at 13:02

These are so cute and they look delicious! Congrats to Liz!

Ali @ Inspiralized — October 14, 2013 at 13:02

This is so clever and a beautiful presentation! I love this surprise baby shower.

Amanda — October 14, 2013 at 13:05

I just busted a gut laughing at “throwing your tots in the air”… hilarious!! What a fun recipe too. Love love the presentation!

Rachel Cooks — October 14, 2013 at 13:45

“If I could fill them with sunshine and lollipops and not look like a major tool shed, I totally would.”

HAHAHAHA! I <3 you.

Your food is always so inventive and fun and these are no exception. Love them!

Megan {Country Cleaver} — October 14, 2013 at 14:07

Whut to the WHUTT!!!! Condo curse lives on and I maintain it is the best of curses. I love this and Liz, our favorite lemon, is a gem through and through. Two snaps? Make it THREE!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — October 14, 2013 at 14:45

I can not even handle these Lauren!!!!!!! I want to live in a lemon just like these cauliflower smashed potatoes!!! Can we seriously live in lemons like this? Also, you know I heart smoked paprika!!! THROWING TOTS IN THE AIR LIKE I JUST DONT CARE!!! xoxoxo

Julia — October 14, 2013 at 14:45

Cauliflower maaaaaash! It’s been ages since I’ve mashed a cauliflower…lemme at ‘em! Love all the delicious food you ladies have put together! Yum!

Sheila — October 14, 2013 at 15:55

You crack me up! These are gorgeous! nom nom nom

Gwen @simplyhealthyfamily — October 14, 2013 at 16:26

These are the cutest things I’ve ever seen! ;) Liz is Lucky to have such good friends!

Sandy Coughlin — October 14, 2013 at 19:00

Why yes, these ARE the cutest darn things I’ve ever seen! Well done friend and thank for contributing!

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — October 14, 2013 at 19:51

Oh man these are the cutest mashed potato cups EVER!

Aggie — October 14, 2013 at 20:25

Liz is pretty darn special isn’t she?? These adorable lemon cups are too!! LOVE this!

Marnely Rodriguez-Murray — October 14, 2013 at 20:26

GENIUS serving vessel! Love it!

The Healthy Apple — October 14, 2013 at 20:55

LOVE these darling; SUCH a cute idea! Cannot wait to try them!!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — October 14, 2013 at 21:56

Um, so these are ADORABLE. Not that I’d expect anything less from ya :) What a fun surprise for the lovely Liz!

Joanne — October 14, 2013 at 22:44

I want to lick the mashed cauli insides out of these lemon cups! Big time. And top them with a tater tot crouton.

Julia — October 15, 2013 at 01:15

I love these–so creative and they look delicious!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — October 15, 2013 at 01:31

These are so perfect for Liz. I love everything about them! Especially the lemon cups!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — October 15, 2013 at 02:27

Ohhhmegosh! I’m so sipping these like they’re margs. For sure!

Gaby — October 15, 2013 at 02:48

Totally adorable and how perfect for this occasion! Not even to mention the delicious cauliflower with smoked paprika inside!!

Faith (An Edible Mosaic) — October 15, 2013 at 06:00

These sound delicious and they’re so elegant – absolutely perfect for a baby shower!

Deborah — October 15, 2013 at 06:21

Ok, these are just too adorable!! I need one!

Jamie | Thrifty Veggie Mama — October 15, 2013 at 12:59

Love these! The lemon cups are such a great idea!

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — October 15, 2013 at 16:47

What a Liz-y dish! :) And hahaha. Yeah. This was the biggest shower ever! I hope Liz feels loved. :D

Do you cut off a part of the bottom too so that they stand up? I’ve read the directions a few times so forgive me if I’m being one of *those* people missing something obvious. ;)

• Lauren replied: — October 16th, 2013 @ 01:31

Hi Erin! You do cut a small slice off the bottom so they will stand. I will update the directions! Thanks!

katie — October 22, 2013 at 20:40

Yum! These are perfect for dear sweet Liz!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks