foodie fridays: brussel sprout, bacon, and apple naan stuffing

foodie fridays: brussel sprout, bacon, and apple naan stuffing www.climbinggriermountain.com

Poison Control is legit.

Not that I didn’t really think it wasn’t, but more of, I’ve never had the need to call the 1-800 number. But all that changed last Sunday. I had just finished loading the dishwasher and was ready to add the dishwasher detergent. I don’t know how, but I accidentally dropped some of the detergent on my index finger. Why I didn’t immediately wash my hand after I felt the sticky cleaner is still a mystery.

Instead, I went to press start on the dishwasher and suddenly, the outside of my mouth itched. Without a single hesitation, I itched my mouth with my detergent covered finger. It took a split second for the detergent to fill my mouth and panic to set in.

I immediately spit into the sink and started hosing my mouth out with water. In the back of my mind, I kept thinking if I swallowed a single drop, I could die! ¬†After a minute of rinsing my mouth out, I looked on the back of the detergent bottle and it states, “If consumed, call Poison Control.” WHAT????!!!

I dialed the 1-800 number faster than you can say “Code Blue.” A very nice woman answered the phone and I immediately gave her the 411 on how I ingested the dishwasher detergent. I kept saying, “I know this is a silly question, but am I GOING TO DIE?!” She reassured my that I was not going to leave this Earth and there are no silly questions. Phew. I was going to live for another day.

So, thanks to Poison Control, I am able to bring you today’s post! With today being November 1st, which means Thanksgiving is around the corner, I figured it was time to give you a recipe fit for the T-giving table. Simple, but flavorful dishes are my kind of jam and this brussel sprout, bacon, and apple naan stuffing is just dish to mix things up. Naan is not only great for pizzas, but it’s also a create alternative to traditional stuffing.

Trust me, you won’t be spitting this stuffing out.

Brussel Sprout, Bacon, and Apple Naan Stuffing

Yield: Serves 4

Cook Time: 40 minutes

4 pieces bacon, chopped
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
1 apple, chopped
1 1/2 cups brussel sprout leaves
2 pieces Naan, torn into cubes
1/2 cup chicken stock (more if needed)
parsley,garnish
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown bacon until crisp. With a slotted spoon, scoop out bacon and place on a plate covered with a paper towel. In the same skillet place celery, onion, apple, and saute in bacon renderings until translucent. Add the brussel sprout leaves and cook for additional couple of minutes. Then add the bacon back in and cook for about a minute. In a large bowl, toss together naan and scallions. Add the bacon mixture along with parsley and chicken stock. Toss to combine.

Place mixture in a 9x13 baking dish. Make sure to spray the bottom with non-stick cooking spray. Cover dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes or until golden brown. Garnish with a little extra parsley before serving.

28 Responses to “foodie fridays: brussel sprout, bacon, and apple naan stuffing”

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — November 1, 2013 at 1:13 pm

I love that you called poison control!!! And I’m pretty thrilled you’re still alive.

• Lauren replied: — November 1st, 2013 @ 3:10 pm

Ha! Me too, Liz!! Have a great weekend!

Ali @ Inspiralized — November 1, 2013 at 1:14 pm

This looks totally amazing – I can’t wait to try this!

• Lauren replied: — November 1st, 2013 @ 3:10 pm

Thanks, Ali! Have a fun weekend!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — November 1, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Oh nooo!! Glad you’re OK–I totally would have been awkward with the poison control people as well. I wonder how many calls they get a day?! What a crazy job, now that I think about it. Those people better be c.o.m.p.o.s.e.d.

Love this stuffing! Using naan is such a great idea.

• Lauren replied: — November 1st, 2013 @ 3:11 pm

I know! She was the most calm person I’ve ever talked too. Thank the Lord. Have a great weekend, Laura!

Tieghan — November 1, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Oh no! So glad you are A-ok! I bet that was pretty scary and to be all alone at the time! Yikes, I would have done the same thing!

Love the stuffing! It is such a fun and updated version!

• Lauren replied: — November 1st, 2013 @ 3:16 pm

Thanks, Tieghan! I am so glad I called. They really know how to calm people down! Have a great weekend!

Erin | The Law Student's Wife — November 1, 2013 at 1:38 pm

THANK GOODNESS poison control was there! What would I do without this naan, bacon, sprout shebang in my life?
    Seriously though, I am laughing out loud/sympathizing like mad because I would totally do something exactly like this. You are not alone!

• Lauren replied: — November 1st, 2013 @ 3:18 pm

Right?! I felt like a major dumb butt calling, but I didn’t know what else to do! Have a great weekend, Erin!

Julia — November 1, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Phew! Thank you, poison control! This world 200% needed this stuffing recipe and would not be as wonderful of a place without it. Seriously….naan stuffing? I just died.

• Lauren replied: — November 1st, 2013 @ 4:44 pm

LOL! Thanks, Julia! I am so thankful for Poison Control:) Have a great weekend!

Ashley — November 1, 2013 at 9:50 pm

This looks awesome! Love bacon with Brussels any day! Yum!

• Lauren replied: — November 1st, 2013 @ 11:01 pm

Thanks, Ashley! Have a great weekend!

Jane — November 1, 2013 at 10:40 pm

What is naan?

• Lauren replied: — November 1st, 2013 @ 11:02 pm

Hi Jane! Naan is an Indian flatbread. It has the texture of pita, but tastes a little more buttery. You can find Naan in your local grocery store. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — November 2, 2013 at 4:21 am

Oh my gosh! you are so funny! I’m so glad you pulled through! XO

ps.. this brussel sprout naan stuffing is the shizz.

Lynn @ The Actor's Diet — November 2, 2013 at 3:35 pm

NAAN STUFFING?!?! My mind if exploding. And I’m glad you didn’t die. So glad.

Joanne — November 2, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Definitely better safe than sorry! If it’s one thing I’ve learned in all my years of lab training it’s (a) always call environmental health services if you ingest anything and (b) avoid going to the student health center whenever possible because they have no answers. To anything.

Glad you’re safe and ALIVE.

And that you made stuffing. I am so in the mood.

Christy @ My Invisible Crown — November 2, 2013 at 9:10 pm

I love this idea…nann is perfect and makes anything you add it to also perfect! And I’m so glad to know dish detergent isn’t fatal in small doses.

Eileen — November 2, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Even if it was scary, calling Poison Control definitely gets you a good 25 adult points! LEVEL UP, right? :) Also, brussels sprouts & bacon are clearly the best possible match. And naan as the stuffing bread? Genius!

Courtney @ Neighborfood — November 4, 2013 at 3:14 am

Eeeek! No good! The only experience I have with poison control happened years ago when my then 1 yearish nephew came toddling into the kitchen sucking down a bottle of Dawn dishsoap like a champ. Poor kid had bubbles coming out of his mouth for awhile, but he survived and he’s (almost) totally normal. :) You are totally changing my naan world for the good! I’m going to start using the stuff for everything!