pumpkin naan pizza with gruyere & fresh herbs

pumpkin naan pizza with gruyere & fresh herbs www.climbinggriermountain.com

The other day, I was reading (and drooling) through my friend, Liz’s post on butternut squash puree with honey and smoked paprika. I adore Liz because she loves everything under the savory-spicy sun like yours truly. Anyways, she asked an interesting question: have you started menu planning for the holiday?

I was like, do wha?!

Wait. Have you started? I, alone, have not boarded the holiday menu planning ship?

pumpkin naan pizza with gruyere & fresh herbs www.climbinggriermountain.com

Even though it’s only November 6th, my mind has yet to grasp that the holidays are approaching. I know some of you have started prepping, and even possibly have done a rehearsal with the old turkey (seriously, you get like 4,367 gold stars!), but I take the holidays with more of a sling shot approach.

You know, put a turkey in a sling shot and let’er rip! Okay, not really, but I am more let’s-take-the pressure/tension-off the holiday menus, and go with the “leave it where Jesus flung it approach.” ¬†Every year people are running around with their heads cut off and missing the reason we are all together in the first place. Sometimes you have to let and go and see what happens. Trust me, some of the best memories are created this way!

pumpkin naan pizza with gruyere & fresh herbs www.climbinggriermoutain.com

Case in point: If you are telling yourself that watching paint dry is more fun than making a big ol’ bird for the T-Giving this year, why not make a pizza? I’m pretty sure the Indians or the Puritans wouldn’t judge. I think this is one of my favorite pizzas to date. There’s something about creamy pumpkin mixed with gooey Gruyere cheese that makes the world seem brighter.

So, if you feel like putting Thanksgiving into a sling shot, I highly recommend you make this pizza. You never know where things are going to land.

pumpkin naan pizza with gruyere & fresh herbs www.climbinggriermountain.com

Pumpkin Naan Pizza with Gruyere & Fresh Herbs

Yield: Serves 4

Prep Time: 20 minutess

Cook Time: 15 minutes

for the pizza:
4 pieces Naan
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 pound ground chicken sausage
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded

for the pumpkin sauce:
1 large shallot, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chicken stock (+more if needed)
1 cup pumpkin puree
3 or 4 sage leaves, chopped
1 tablespoon rosemary, chopped (+more for a garnish)
1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
1 egg
1/2 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
1/2 cup cream

for the pizza:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray. Place two pieces of Naan on each baking sheet. Preheat a medium skillet to medium-high heat. Add olive oil to skillet, and then chicken sausage. Saute for a couple of minutes or until golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside.

Pour 1/4 cup of the pumpkin sauce on each Naan piece leaving a border. You will have leftover sauce so maybe use it as a sauce in pasta. Top each piece of Naan with chicken sausage. Next, top 1/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese on top. Place in oven and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let the pizzas cool slightly. Garnish with fresh rosemary. Cut and serve!

for the pumpkin sauce:
In a medium bowl, combine pumpkin puree, cream, sage leaves, rosemary, thyme, egg, Gruyere cheese, and a pinch of s&p. Stir to combine. In a medium skillet preheated to medium-high heat, add olive oil. Then add shallots and garlic with a little s&p. Cook and stir for a few minutes until the shallots have softened. Add the pumpkin mixture. Stir and then gradually whisk in the chicken stock. Add more if the sauce is to thick. Once the sauce has cooked for a couple of minutes and is at the desired consistency.

49 Responses to “pumpkin naan pizza with gruyere & fresh herbs”

Ali @ Inspiralized — November 6, 2013 at 13:48

HONESTLY, I swear I was JUST googling the internet for a great naan pizza, because I randomly bought naan from a market in NYC and I had no idea what to do with it. I can’t wait to try this before the naan goes bad!

• Lauren replied: — November 7th, 2013 @ 00:13

You will love it! Naan pizzas are the best. Thanks, Ali!

Rachel Cooks — November 6, 2013 at 13:49

Don’t tell anyone this, but I’ve never cooked a whole turkey. I know, I’m just carelessly tossing all my “supermom” (questionable to begin with) and my “food blogger” and “good cook” statuses out the window.

Scares the crap outta me.

Pizza? Pizza, I can do. And this looks phenomenal.

• Lauren replied: — November 7th, 2013 @ 00:14

Ha! I cooked my first one last year and it’s kind of boring. I think we should all make this pizza instead:) Thanks, Rachel!

Carrian — November 6, 2013 at 14:02

This looks delicious. I really need to give this a try!

• Lauren replied: — November 7th, 2013 @ 00:15

Dewwww it! Thanks, Carrian!

Tieghan — November 6, 2013 at 14:13

YUM! This looks so good! I love a good gruyere pizza! And with pumpkin too? Yes, please!

• Lauren replied: — November 7th, 2013 @ 00:15

Gruyere and pumpkin are the da’bomb together. Thanks, Tieghan!

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl — November 6, 2013 at 14:23

This pizza looks delicious and what that added pumpkin, what a treat!

• Lauren replied: — November 7th, 2013 @ 00:16

Why, thank you, Pamela!

meredith n sock monkey slippers — November 6, 2013 at 15:32

Dear sweet mother of it all! I need this!

• Lauren replied: — November 7th, 2013 @ 00:16

YES.YOU.DO!! Thanks, Meredith!

Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche — November 6, 2013 at 15:34

That pumpkin sauce looks amazing! I have ONE tin of pumpkin puree left (you can’t really get it in the UK but I found it by chance in a shop that I’m 99% sure won’t have it any more :( ) and I think this might have to be what I use it for!

• Lauren replied: — November 7th, 2013 @ 00:17

you MUST make this pizza! Life changing:) Thanks, Becca!

Christine @ Cooking with Cakes — November 6, 2013 at 15:47

wow this looks fantastic! great idea for a modern appetizer on Thanksgiving, I’m loving this!

• Lauren replied: — November 7th, 2013 @ 00:17

Thank you, Christine!

Kathryn — November 6, 2013 at 16:07

Totally love the flavours you’ve combined here – so autumnal yet so bright and fresh with all those fresh herbs. Love it!

• Lauren replied: — November 7th, 2013 @ 00:17

Why, thank you, my dear! It’s kind of an autumn explosion!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — November 6, 2013 at 16:08

Omg I’m just now reading your post – dude, I am so with you on the lack of menu planning!!!! It’s way more fun going by the spur of the moment!! Love your savory-spicy shout out!! xoxox

• Lauren replied: — November 7th, 2013 @ 00:18

Ha! No worries love! #tots4life #savory-spice4life #youareawesome

Anna @ Bashful Bao — November 6, 2013 at 16:29

I think I want to drink that pumpkin sauce, it looks amazing! Can’t wait to try it!

• Lauren replied: — November 7th, 2013 @ 00:18

Actually, it could really make for a good smoothie:) Thanks, Anna!

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — November 6, 2013 at 17:59

I haven’t started to plan either but the other day I compiled a bunch of veggies and then roasted them. I’m claiming that I am one step closer to coming up with a plan. This naan is out of this world.

• Lauren replied: — November 7th, 2013 @ 00:20

You are so on top of it! Love! Thanks, Meagan!

Rachel — November 6, 2013 at 19:50

Ok. I might have to come out of my no-cooking-slump to make this. It looks amazing.

• Lauren replied: — November 7th, 2013 @ 00:20

You must! I promise you will love it:)

Tracey — November 6, 2013 at 20:04

OMG, Gruyere is the best cheese ever and combined with pumpkin? Yes please – sign me up :)

• Lauren replied: — November 7th, 2013 @ 00:20

Fo’ sure!! I’ll send some over ASAP!

Annalise @ Completely Delicious — November 6, 2013 at 20:38

Okay now I’m seriously considering ditching the turkey for this pizza. Holy yum!!

• Lauren replied: — November 7th, 2013 @ 00:21

Ha! Me too! Let’s be rebels together:)

Jennie @themessybakerblog — November 6, 2013 at 20:40

Hi Lauren! I found your site through a few bloggers I follow. You have one delicious site. This naan pizza looks amazing. Pinned.

• Lauren replied: — November 7th, 2013 @ 00:21

Hi Jennie! Welcome. I am glad you stopped by! And thank you for your sweet words;)

Aggie — November 6, 2013 at 22:12

Oh my heaven. YES. This is what I want for dinner.

• Lauren replied: — November 7th, 2013 @ 00:21

Amen, sista! Thanks, Aggie!

Ashley - Baker by Nature — November 7, 2013 at 01:54

Holy moly, my friend… this is f’ing brilliant! And I need it.

Joanne — November 7, 2013 at 01:58

Girl, I would HAPPILY eat pizza for Thanksgiving. I mean, I feel like if you just called it a savory pie, it would be totally acceptable. Also PUMPKIN. It’s smothered in it. Love it!

Sheila — November 7, 2013 at 14:02

nom nom nom me want this for lunch. ( that was my cookie monster impression)

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen — November 7, 2013 at 14:58

I might have to make a serious adjustment to my Thanksgiving menu…..adios turkey, helllllo pumpkin nann pizza!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — November 7, 2013 at 15:23

Good lord! I want to stack these up, unhinge my jaw and cram them in my face. Love naan, Gruyere and well EVERYTHING about these!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — November 7, 2013 at 17:22

GENIUS. You know how to rock the naan, m’lady.

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — November 8, 2013 at 00:17

Lauren… Can I come live with you…. And eat pumpkin pizza every night? Pretty please?

cindy — November 9, 2013 at 16:21

this is so genius! sometimes I add pumpkin to my pizza dough, but never-ever thought of making it into a sauce…I’mma have to try that.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — November 9, 2013 at 17:52

Lauren this is just so pretty and what a creative way to use pumpkin – and naan! Pinned!

Angela — November 11, 2013 at 01:53

This looks ahhhhmazing! i’m going to put it on my menu for the week, thanks for sharing! http://www.handmadeintheheartland.com

ATasteOfMadness — November 11, 2013 at 01:55

This pizza looks SO good! This is just SCREAMING fall, I love this!

Van — November 11, 2013 at 18:33

We made this naan pizza over the weekend as an appetizer for a small cocktail party. It was delicious and everyone loved it. Very fitting for the season. The naan works well as a crust and as usual …. naan is just tasty!

Coty and Mariah@quirksandtwists — November 13, 2013 at 00:38

What an amazing combination!

Mary Moore — November 28, 2013 at 20:53

A hit as a Thankgiving appetizer. All gone. Will make this one again.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks